Pages

Friday, May 13, 2011

GREEN challenge T-shirt yarn rug

As we were packing for our move, we were also getting rid of stuff. My husband and I piled together a few large boxes for donating or to toss out. There was a pile of T-shirts.



Too worn and stained for donating, but not raggedy enough for the trash. In my opinion, that is. Hubby just wanted to toss them. Being the good obedient housewife that I am, when he was not looking I packed them up. I have been wanting to make yarn out of T-shirts for a long time. This was my chance and I was not going to let it slip away. There are plenty of great tutorial on the web, and since I followed them, there is no reason for me to repeat them here. I will include links at the end of this post.


What is amazing about T-shirt yarn is that after you cut the strips and you tug on it, you can watch it curl up and hide those ugly baby spit up or paint stains. The inside of the T-shirt is what you see.

I picked coordinating colors to make a small rug to go in front of the back door.
Unfortunately, after I started knitting I discovered I do not have enough blacks, greys and blues. I may have to buy some cheap T-shirts so I can finish the rug. (Friends, if you have any old, stained T-shirts you no longer want hiding in your closet, please donate them to me. )



0 comments:

Post a Comment